Township of Long Hill

915 Valley Road, Long Hill, NJ 07933  •  908-647-8000 ext 217

Questions and Answers

  • Why do I need a permit?

A building permit gives you legal permission to start construction of a building project in accordance with the approved drawings and specifications. By obtaining a permit, you are protecting your family and friends by ensuring compliance with minimum State and National building code regulations through the inspection process.

  • When do I need a permit?

Permits are required for additions, alterations, electrical systems, plumbing systems, fire protection systems (alarms, fire sprinklers..), decks, fences, pools, heating and cooling equipment, kitchens and baths, sheds and roofing and siding. If you are unsure if a permit is required, call the Construction Department for clarification.

  • How do I schedule an inspection?

Requests for inspections should be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. For building, plumbing and fire protection inspections, call 908-647-8000 ext. 217. Please provide the permit number, site address, phone number, type of inspection and day you want the inspection. For electrical inspections, call 908-647-8000 ext 217 and leave the same information. The inspectors schedule is available on the Construction Department home page.

  • How much will the permit cost?

Call the  Construction Department for the fee for your project. Remember, that each permit is subject to a State imposed training fee.

  • How long will it take to get my permit?

For small projects the turn around time is usually less than one week. Large scale projects (new construction, additions, ..) take longer as these applications are more complex. When a completed application has received all of its prior approvals ( zoning, engineering, DEP...), it typically takes less than 21 business days to issue the permit.

  • Where can I get a copy of my survey?

It is usually filed with your house papers. On occasion, we may have a copy if you have submitted one for a previous project.

  • Do I need an architect to draw my plans?

Pursuant to State law, you are permitted to prepare drawings for owner-occupied, single-family, detached dwellings. Master plumbers can prepare riser diagrams for residential work. The Construction Department reserves the right to require the permit holder to secure the services of a New Jersey licensed design professional if it is determined the scope of the project is beyond your capabilities.

  • What are the contractor registration requirements?

Visit the Division of Consumer Affairs website at for detailed information and a list of registered contractors.