Township of Long Hill


Effective September 1, 2002, you must obtain a Sump Pump Certificate before you can sell or rent your house. The procedure is as follows:
  • AT LEAST 10 days before the closing, contact the Construction office at 908-647-8000 ext. 210 to schedule an inspection of your house to insure that there are no freshwater connections to the sanitary sewer system. We recommend that you schedule this inspection as soon as you put your house on the market, to allow plenty of time for any corrections, if they are necessary.
  • The fee for this inspection is $50.00, which must be paid at the time of the application. Credit cards are accepted. (A reminder: you also need a Smoke Detector Compliance inspection before you can sell your house. Apply at the same time.)
  • A township wastewater employee will visit your house and will verify whether you have a compliance problem.
  • If you are in compliance with the runoff ordinances, the inspector will give you a Compliance Certificate, which the attorneys will require at the closing.
  • If the inspector discovers that there is an unlawful discharge into the sanitary sewer system:
    1. The inspector will make recommendations to assist the property owner in complying with the law. (However, the inspector is not permitted to recommend contractors by name.)
    2. The Public Works Director will send you an official Notice of Non-Compliance within 3 business days. The Notice will clearly describe the violation and the remedial action needed for compliance.
    3. You must correct the problem and apply for a re-inspection and obtain a Compliance Certificate before the closing date for the sale of the house.