Township of Long Hill


Your Homeowners Insurance Policy will not cover losses due to flooding.  Long Hill Township participates in the National Flood Insurance Program, so you are entitled to purchase a separate flood insurance policy.  This insurance is backed by the Federal government and is available to everyone, even properties that have been flooded.  

For many people, their home and its contents represent their greatest investment.  We strongly urge you to buy flood insurance to protect yourself from devastating losses due to flooding.  The fact that your house or business has not experienced flooding in the recent past does not mean you are free from potential flooding.  High water and flooding can occur at any time. 

Information about flood insurance can be obtained from your insurance agent.  There is a thirty (30) day waiting period before a flood insurance policy takes effect, so you should call your insurance company now.  You do not have to live in the floodplain to qualify for flood insurance.  Property owners can insure their building and contents.  Renters can insure their possessions.  More information can be obtained at the NFIP website:  Information can also be obtained at FEMA’s flood insurance page:


There are a number of ways residents can flood-proof or protect their property.  All residents should call the Construction Department with respect to houses to be built in the floodplain, stormwater run-off regulations and uniform construction code requirements.  Existing residences, industrial and commercial buildings located in or near the floodplain can be protected by several cost-effective measures to withstand flooding.  Depending on the situation, location and availability of funds, the following measures can and should be used.

1.    Install a sump pump system to dispose of infiltrating water.
2.    Strengthen basement walls.
3.    Install water resistant materials, such as paints, floors, carpets, doors and windows.
4.    Elevate electrical and mechanical equipment in the basement.
5.    Flood-proof walls, windows and doors.
6.    Construct flood walls or closures.
7.    Elevate structures.


You can contact the Township Engineer for the following information:

1.    Flood map information.  Including Base Flood Elevation (BFE) data, Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) location information and floodway limits.
2.    Flood protection advice and recommendations
3.    Information about flood insurance
4.    Set up on-site visit
5.    Elevation certificates, if on file.